Crude Oil High quality Association Assembly Archives
Subcommittee Conferences, 8:30 – eleven:30 a.m.
Canadian Crude Oil High quality Subcommittee
Convened by Invoice Lywood, Crude High quality, Inc. and Ron Fisher, BP
Canadian Crude High quality Association –
In opening the subcommittee meeting, Tim Blackmore of Omnicon Consultants made a presentation on the CCQTA, a sister group to the COQA. In this, Tim supplied a quick history of the CCQTA, their goals, organizational and fee constructions, and operating tips. He then went right into a more detailed presentation on how CCQTA projects are initiated, funded, and managed. Tim closed his presentation by listing CCQTA’s active initiatives and offered contact information for his or her President and Secretary.
► Mr. Blackmore’s presentation
Harry Giles then launched Dennis Sutton, a protracted-standing member of COQA, who can be CCQTA’s newly-elected Director of Refining. Dennis then supplied a detailed update on the standing of currently active CCQTA tasks. These are:
● Heavy Oil Manual
● Iron Fouling
● NGL Contamination
● Phosphorus in Crude
● Oilsands Bitumen Processibility
● TAN Part III
Dennis’ presentation included the project’s objective, present status, and a listing of participating companies.
► Mr. Sutton’s presentation
Ron Fisher (BP) and Bill Lywood (Crude High quality Inc, CQI) supplied background on efforts made in Chicago in June 2007 to formulate action gadgets consistent with COQA principles utilizing subgroups focused on Branding, Logistics, Synthetics, and Processing. Smaller groups had been formed again and have been directed to discuss related business level points associated to their topics, and to formulate short, medium and long run strategies and deliverable action gadgets. There have been a number of committed outcomes from every of these discussions:
1. growth of a quick reference card by June 2008 incorporating important quality knowledge, crude stream supply, and “brewmaster(s)” for all Canadian crude streams on all pipeline techniques delivering to the US,
2. consolidation of publicly out there crude stream quality knowledge onto the COQA webpage by March 2008, and
three. development of a “prospectus” formatted template for Canadian crude producers and shippers containing key and important knowledge associated to the qualities of particular person streams and contacts for communication with quality accountable upstream personnel/departments. This template program was mentioned as tentatively starting at the June 2008 CCQTA/COQA joint assembly.
1. the focus on intermixing and commingling of crude streams and crude grades while within the pipeline delivery programs is an extended term, bigger subject, and
2. intermixing and commingling issues have to assessed and evaluated by way of continuous improvement and administration techniques, and
three. additional work is required earlier than medium and long run strategies may be developed.
1. deal with TAN willpower strategies
1. growth of a summary “cheat sheet” of all TAN testing methods together with basic description of the methods, and the professionals/cons/applicability of every method (thought-about as a one yr challenge), and
2. consolidation of TAN determination strategies and conduct a spherical robin testing program to determine probably the most dependable testing methodology (considered as a second 12 months undertaking).
1. the Synthetics group discussions had been similar to these of the Logistics group in that the Synthetics group recognized that there exists a need to regulate the standard of the synthetic merchandise throughout delivery to retain their respective values out there, that value loss is a operate of distance from point of manufacture, and improvements in the direction of a stable quality provide would benefit all segments of the industry, and
2. that the points above should not only a Canadian concern, but in addition apply to different globally sourced synthetics supply, and
three. that continued discussions, doubtlessly in harmony with the Logistics ideas, are necessary to develop strategies within the medium and long term.
Comply with up items had been delegated to smaller teams of four to gasoila sealant five people, with the expectation that efforts will probably be ongoing in direction of the following and future conferences.
The Canadian Subcommittee used all accessible time within the CCQTA and Examine Group classes. Supposed to be introduced at the subcommittee meeting was an replace on the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP, www.capp.ca) together with the following info gadgets:
1) CAPP has accredited funding of the Crude High quality Monitoring Applications (www.crudemonitor.ca) via 2008 and 2009,
2) CAPP’s Crude Quality Working Group (CQWG) is an advert hoc trade subcommittee that has been developing responses to industry degree requests for technical help on policy and specs issues. The CAPP CQWG is at the moment discussing issues related to:
1. condensate/diluent specifications for feeders to the aggregate, commingled CRW market stream (will affect Southern Lights commodities, besides these under sole use disposition),
2. diluent and bitumen (dilbit) compatibility, and the influence of aromatics content material on blended stream stability (probably an aromatics minimal could be included within the condensate/diluent specifications),
3. merchant tankage management and mixing issues regarding high quality and quality variance,
4. clarification of the Enbridge Commodity Approval Process,
5. olefins specification management and enforcement policy,
6. interfacing with CCQTA on Phosphorus in Crude Specs established by CAPP by way of the CQWG, and
7. other matters as requested by the CAPP Crude Oil, Pipeline, and EPG committees.
CAPP has contracted Crude Quality Inc. and has restarted the TAN Challenge (jointly funded by CAPP and the Alberta Vitality Research Institute (AERI), and supported by NCUT, Florida State University, Fluor Canada and others. CQI has assessed progress on the venture and has made presentations to the TAN Project Steering Committee with respect to analysis course and tube plate automatic weld outcomes. At the San Francisco assembly, CQI did ask for COQA members’ support of the TAN Undertaking via co-ordination of African and North Sea excessive TAN crude sample assortment. CQI can be following up with individual provides in the quick future.
Our subsequent meeting will likely be in the morning session of the March COQA meeting in New Orleans, LA.
Crude High quality Inc.
Domestic Buying and selling Heart Subcommittee (DTC)
Convened by John Maurer, Valero
The group agreed to adjustments to the mission assertion in the area of reduce level versus percentage. The next is the new Mission statement:
We imagine that crude oil designated as Domestic Sweet wants just a few primary parameters in addition to gravity and sulfur in order for crude to fall within this designation. These additional parameters are crucial to higher define Home Sweet, while at the identical time decreasing its variability. This can enable refiners to better determine the precise value of Home Candy to them as they will with other, properly outlined crude types.
Excessive Temperature Simulated Distillation (HTSD): Recovery at 380ºF and 1050ºF cut factors
Nickel, Vanadium, TAN and Micro Carbon Residue (MCRT)
John reported that pattern assortment and testing proceed to determine the standard values and supply information for this group to determine the acceptable variation degree on parameters identified within the mission assertion. Sulfur and gravity testing are additionally being performed.
A short overview of the present data was offered with utilized statistical charts to offer the group an instance of how the data could be analyzed. The distillation knowledge high quality were unacceptable and John and Clifford Mills agreed to work with the lab to determine the trigger. Present HTSD information might be re-built-in to yield the brand new cut factors identified within the mission statement.
The COQA director agreed to publish the data on the COQA website and replace the file as it turns into out there.
Harry Giles indicated the DTC efforts are of interest to employees at the Oil Each day and so gasoila sealant they would be contacting John to gather information for a number of articles in their publication in 2008.
John Maurer indicated no additional interest has been expressed by Dan Brusstar at NYMEX to current to the COQA about NYMEX and turn into involved within the DTC discussions. John and Harry asked the group if anybody would contact Dan to squeak the wheel a bit using of us at their respective corporations who may know Dan. His contact information is as follows:
Mr. Dan Brusstar
Director, Energy Analysis
New York Mercantile Trade
The group was also solicited to contact any of the following and ask if they could be excited by making a presentation at future meetings.
· ConocoPhillips: Bill Brown Pipeline VP
· Plains Pipeline: Jerry Monier
· SemGroup: 918-388-8100 is most important quantity.
Basic Assembly, 1:00 – 5:00 p.m.
Following is a abstract of the displays made at the final Meeting the and enterprise transacted on the Steering Committee meeting. Hyperlinks are provided for copies of the displays in PDF format.
· Southern California Crude Oil Outlook. Dileep Sirur, Baker & O’Brien. Earlier this year, Baker & O’Brien accomplished this examine for Plains All American Pipeline, L.P. Plains graciously agreed to permitting a presentation on this examine to be made at this COQA assembly. A number of key assumptions had been made in preparing the projections included within the report. Amongst these had been that production of each ANS and California crude oils will proceed to decline and that refinery runs will increase at a modest price. One other key assumption was that incremental imports of Canadian and West African crude oils will probably be high TAN and heavy. Mr. Sirur presented numerous graphs displaying historical and forecast data supporting the study. In closing, he observed:
● “Future Southern California crude supplies will probably be increasingly dominated by imports; and
● “ANS use will decline steadily and be eradicated by 2015.”
► Mr. Sirur’s presentation
· VSEP Solutions for Produced Water, Desalters, & SSW. Mark Galimberti, VSEP. Vibratory Shear Enhanced Process (VSEP) is a unique membrane filtration system that employs vibrational oscillation of the membrane surface to enhance the relative throughput per area of membrane used. This oscillation is used to forestall colloidal fouling of the membrane floor. The expertise has been utilized to treating water co-produced with crude oil at a field at Santa Maria, CA, making it clear sufficient to be fed to boilers used for producing steam for flooding the oil bearing formation. The co-produced water contained nearly 30,000 ppm TDS, however filtration achieved an total recovery of 70% of the wastewater as clean boiler feed. In his presentation, Mr. Galimberti discussed the know-how behind the method, offered data on the Santa Maria installation, and famous some other present purposes of the know-how.
► Mr. Galimberti’s presentation
· Analysis on the Effect of Oil Chemistry on Heavy Oil Recovery. Invited presentation by Prof. Louis Castanier, Stanford College, Petroleum Engineering Division (SUPRI-A). SUPRI-A, along with its educational responsibilities, conducts a wide spectrum of analysis related to rising the restoration from heavy oil and different unconventional hydrocarbon assets. In his presentation, Dr. Castanier, mentioned one of their ongoing projects involving a two-phase examine exploring the function of heavy oil chemistry on
– Resolution fuel drive, and
– In-situ combustion.
The presentation included discussion of the experimental setup, oil properties, and some of the results for every of these related research.
► Prof. Castanier’s presentation
· Western States Petroleum Affiliation. Invited presentation by Dennis Bolt, Manager, Bay Area Region, WSPA. Based in 1907, WSPA is the oldest petroleum trade association within the nation. It presently has 26 member companies, representing six western states, concerned in exploration, production, transportation, refining, and/or marketing of petroleum. Mr. Bolt supplied an outline of four main areas of concern to the affiliation:
– California Manufacturing
– Supply & Demand
– Infrastructure & Permitting
– Climate Change
For every, he provided background info and supporting information – mostly from the perspective of the California industry.
► Mr. Bolt’s presentation
· Panel discussion on points related to crude oil manufacturing and refining in California and Washington State. Panel members: Paul Cannizzo, Tesoro; Ron Fisher, BP; Sam Lordo, Nalco; Anne Shafizadeh, Chevron And many others. Prior to this meeting, COQA had not staged a “Question & Answer” panel. Once San Francisco was selected as a gathering venue, it was recommended that, as this can be our first meeting on the West Coast, we should try to deal with some regionally-specific points. Sure COQA members with West Coast associates or operations have been then asked to poll their colleagues for problems with concern to them. Responses have been compiled into the linked doc.
For lots of the questions, the consensus of panel members and the group at giant was that the questions were particular to a given refinery, firm, or operator and not of broad curiosity to the membership as an entire.
Deciding on alternative crude oils for California manufacturing could be tough. Many California refineries have been constructed and configured to course of these or comparable manufacturing. They are used to “a regular diet”, and “unfamiliarity (with other crudes) breeds contempt” – especially with so-referred to as “opportunity crudes” which is probably not all that opportune.
For many of the questions related to high quality determination, the consensus was that current take a look at methods, procedures, or treatment choices more than suffice and that the company or operator is properly suggested to consult with knowledgeable laboratories or vendors.
Dialogue of limits set on certain contaminants akin to Se and Hg generated essentially the most dialogue. Comments on these ranged from the truth that limits might have been set by NPDS with out scientific basis or with little or no supportive information. In the Bay Space specifically, contaminants akin to Hg are a legacy concern relationship back to gold mining in the 19th century and have little or no relation to petroleum refining.
COQA Director’s Observe: As famous earlier, this was the first Q&A Panel staged by the Group. The consensus was that it should be accomplished again. Nonetheless, as Director, I need to commit more examine and thought into proper staging of future panels.
► Q&A Panel
The overall assembly concluded with a Report from the COQA Steering Committee by Harry Giles, COQA Director. The steering committee met on the night of October 30, 2007. The Hydrocarbon Publishing Firm was welcomed as a new supporting member. Adjustments being made to the COQA Webpage were mentioned. Among these is updating and revising the itemizing of members to delete inclusion of e-mail addresses and provide solely title, company affiliation, and telephone quantity to help forestall spam mining. This transformation is now full. Also, a search functionality is being added to the positioning to facilitate discovering data, especially within the meeting archives. And, a brand new page is to be added to provide extra visibility to our corporate sponsors and supporters. This may embrace their company logos and a web tackle.
Quite a lot of subjects for displays at future meetings have been thought of, some of that are:
o Safe dealing with of crude oil containing hazardous substances such as H2S
o Crude oil valuation
o Changing face of U.S. crude oil imports
o New production coming on-stream from areas such because the deep Gulf of Mexico and offshore Angola
The Hydrocarbon Publishing Firm approached COQA about jointly organizing a convention on Opportunity Crudes 2008: Challenges, Benefits, and Processing. Harry Giles will work with Hydrocarbon Publishing Company on the convention scheduled for Houston, TX on May 1 – 2, 2008.
– March 6, 2008 in New Orleans, along with the ASTM Crude Oil Course.
– June 2008 in Calgary, AB, Canada at the side of CCQTA.
– October 23, 2008 in San Antonio, TX.